AmeriCorps Full-Time Service Opportunity with The Yunion
The Yunion and Local Initiatives Support Corporation are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps member to serve as a Community and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator. We are recruiting a
full-time AmeriCorps member to be a part of our team for 10 months. The position will remain open until filled. The exact start and end date of the contract position is confirmed by the
Member Agreement of Participation that will require signature prior to the start of service. This is an AmeriCorps position and the individual selected to serve is not considered to be an
employee of The Yunion or LISC.
What We Do / About Us
- The Yunion
- LISC (Local Initiatives Support Corporation) &
The Yunion is a non-profit organization formed in 2005 that serves youth and families in Metro Detroit. Most of our youth live in challenged environments, characterized by low-income, single
parent households and communities where interpersonal and neighborhood violence is frequent, which puts them at-risk for negative behaviors and lowered expectations of those institutions tasked with serving them. We use a trauma-based approach in our facilitation, counseling, and programming initiatives. Our mission is to counter negative cultural influences that misdirect the lives of youth by raising awareness and strengthening families through innovative prevention programming, education, parental engagement, mentoring and counseling. We have reached more than 15,000 Metro Detroit youth with our programs, engaging workshops, assemblies, and conferences. We have collaborated with more than 35 schools, community organizations and churches in empowering Detroit youth and families. The Yunion bases its programming in creative expression, utilizing the mediums of spoken word/rap, music, theatre, and dance to help young people express and thereby address their particular challenges.
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families. Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $24 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment, and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities.
Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from the East Coast to the West Coast in 36 urban markets from Buffalo to San Francisco and 2,400 Rural counties. Visit us at
www.lisc.org to learn more.
Your Role and Responsibilities as an AmeriCorps Member:
This is an AmeriCorps position and as such, the member may not engage in prohibited activities as part of his/her/their service. The member will have an immediate supervisor at The Yunion and a LISC point of contact throughout the term of service for coaching, mentoring, and training support in order to undertake activities to achieve a community goal.
The member is expected to undertake the following activities toward goal achievement:
- Serve as liaison between residents, businesses, local organizations and The Yunion to achieve consensus on goals, outcomes, and projects
- Assist with written reporting requirements for all contracts and grants.
- Responsible for the oversight of all programs including relationship building with community partners, participants and staff members.
- Ensures the implementation of required training and general personnel management.
- Assist in identifying, developing and implementing fundraising events and contributing to meeting fundraising goals and objectives.
- Assist with the research, writing, and procurement of grants and other funding opportunities for the organization.
- Maintain effective communication with funding and regulatory agencies as applicable.
- Create and implement community outreach opportunities and build awareness.
- Conduct needs assessment to determine staff and volunteer requirements.
- Develop strategic plans to grow the organization and strengthen its abilities locally and regionally.
- Foster an environment that promotes the vision and mission of the organization.
- Maintain social, ethical and organizational standards in all related activities and within the community.
- Demonstrate commitment and passion to the mission of The Yunion.
- Exceptional internal and external customer service orientation.
In performing these activities, The Yunion and LISC AmeriCorps anticipate that the person in this
position will achieve the following goal(s):
- Engage 15 new (episodic) volunteers to provide 90 volunteer hours to community-based projects
- Engage 20 existing (recurring) volunteers to provide 75 volunteer hours to community-based projects
- Significantly contribute to a community needs assessment or implement community solutions making the host organization more effective and or efficient in serving residents
In order to meet the goal(s), the successful candidate will be provided with a work-plan at the
onset of service and training needed to achieve the goal(s). Progress toward goal attainment will
be measured monthly through an on-line system and training will be provided.
Other Service Requirements
Members are required to track time and submit on-line timesheets twice per month. They are also required to submit a monthly report through the same system (training will be provided). The person selected for this position will perform his/her/their day-to-day service at the partner site and serve on average 40 hours per week. Normal business hours will be listed as 8:30 – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday with 30 minutes for lunch. Occasional evening and weekend service will be noted. Members are eligible for all Federal Holidays off (except Dr. Martin King Jr. Day) and five (5) days off during the service term. It is expected that the person will be flexible as oftentimes service requires some evenings and weekends.
Members are expected to attend and participate in all LISC AmeriCorps sponsored activities including but not limited to:
- Attending onboarding sessions coordinated by LISC;
- Attending a national leadership conference in the spring of 2022;
- Attending all locally sponsored monthly meetings;
- Participating in nationally sponsored webinars;
- Actively participating in at least two team coordinated service projects (one for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and one for National AmeriCorps Week); and,
- Engaging in any other LISC events as determined by the local LISC office.
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in lowincome distressed neighborhoods
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Computer skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
- Some community organization/outreach experience, especially in a volunteer capacity or volunteer coordination
- Work with K-12 schools or organizations
- Experience in a social work environment a plus.
- Administrative experience including scheduling, event planning
Program Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to participate as a LISC AmeriCorps member the candidate: (1) must not have previously resigned from a LISC AmeriCorps position; (2) be able to earn at least 74% of the
education award for this position; and (3) if having previously served, been exited with satisfactory service from a prior term.
The candidate will also need to meet all AmeriCorps eligibility requirements including but not limited to:
Be at least 17 years of age (there is no upper age limit)
- Possess unexpired proof of status as a US citizen or possess unexpired permanent resident status and be able to provide documentation as determined by AmeriCorps during the pre-enrollment period
- Meet the National Service Criminal History Check Requirement noted below
National Service Criminal History Check Requirement
If a candidate has a criminal record, it does not necessarily make him/her/them ineligible for service. LISC does not disclose any results with the host site and will discuss any eligibility concerns that may arise directly with the candidate as per LISC’s policy.
Candidates being offered and accepting this AmeriCorps position must consent to a search of the National Sex Offender Public Website, State Level Criminal History Search, and an FBI search. LISC should receive the results from all checks at least one week prior to the first day of proposed service. The person must be cleared for service by LISC prior to the first day of service.
A candidate may not be considered eligible for service in instances where he/she/they: (1) are subject to registry on the National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW); and/or (2) has been convicted of murder; and/or (3) has a non-resolved/non-adjudicated criminal offense.
Upon successful completion of the full term of service, the member will be eligible for a $6,345 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school. Members are eligible to place qualifying, existing student loans (not in default) into AmeriCorps forbearance.
The position pays a total stipend of $20,000. The stipend is taxable and paid in 20 equal checks twice a month from LISC. Direct deposit is required. A health care benefit is available for the
participant only. For members with children under the age of 13, there is a childcare subsidy benefit available which is dependent on the participant meeting all eligibility requirements (This
benefit is administered by a contracted provider via the AmeriCorps Agency).
Additional benefits for alums can be found here: https://www.nationalservice.gov/specialinitiatives/employers-national-service/alumni and information on Public Service Loan Forgiveness can be found here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgivenesscancellation/public-service.
How to Apply
Complete the application form below and indicate you are applying for Community and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator. The selected candidate will be directed to complete an additional online application via the My AmeriCorps Portal.
LISC AmeriCorps and The Yunion are committed to diversity and inclusion in the selection process.
LISC AmeriCorps is available to everyone eligible to serve. We treat all persons without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.