Job Title: Research Assistant
Job Classification: Intern, Part-time
Reports to: Evaluation Consultant, Program Coordinator
Job Location: Primarily virtual, occasional onsite work in Detroit required
Release Date: May 2021
The research assistant intern will work with the evaluation consultant to provide support in a variety of areas including research and analysis, data collection, and administrative support to non-profit community-based organizations. This is a one-year position with the potential for ongoing employment.
The Yunion’s mission is to counter negative cultural influences that misdirect the lives of youth by raising awareness and strengthening families through innovative prevention programming, education, parental engagement, mentoring, and counseling.
The Yunion’s evaluation strategy utilizes a multi-faceted approach across all participants and programs, is sensitive to the culture and needs of those being served (assessed) and is beneficial in such a way that outcomes and results are communicated and translated into useful strategies to promote effective change.
This position affords the opportunity to become immersed in the social sector, learning about its history, funder-grantee dynamics, key players, and emerging issues. The position reports to a community-based researcher with more than 20 years’ experience in program development, evaluation, and grantmaking with advanced degrees in both social work and urban planning. Our work will provide insight to evaluation theory and evaluation practices. You will also be exposed to a consulting approach and may develop consulting experience such as project management and client relationship development. The goal is that you simultaneously develop your professional skills and make a difference!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducting research related to client and internal projects
- Data entry and analysis activities, such as transcription of focus group notes, thematic analysis of interviews, and survey data analysis using Excel
- Developing charts, graphs, and presentations using Excel and PowerPoint
- Data collection activities such as focus group documentation, virtual interviews, and survey creation/adaptation
- Assisting with meeting preparation and logistics
- Other administrative support tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Interest in learning, improving skills, and increasing responsibilities over time required
- Self-starter with planning skills, organizational skills, notetaking ability, and attention to detail required
- Solid research abilities, including critical thinking and analysis required
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written required
- Comfort collaborating with BIPOC- led and staffed organizations with work based in the city of Detroit required
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
- Ability to type with enough speed and accuracy to take meeting notes required
- Ability to be a strong team player required
- An interest in the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sectors required
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and client schedules, and manage workload, required
- Ability to be flexible and have a practical approach to helping our nonprofit and philanthropic clients required.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS PREFERRED
- Familiarity working with data, such as online survey applications or SPSS preferred
- Technology skills, such as graphic design, video editing, social media, and newsletters, or website design preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Cash stipend
- Professional development opportunities,
- Build connections to the nonprofit field and your community
- Flexible schedule (approximately 20 hours per week).
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a brief cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Research Assistant Internship
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com